September’s almost done and that means I’ve recently aged a year, yikes. I don’t spent too much time thinking about my birthday – 28 already, time goes by too fast!!! Mentally, I often still feel like I’m 17 years old, lol – so I don’t celebrate my birthday anymore since a couple of years. But despite not celebrating, I got pampered nonetheless by family and friends!
I got pampered by my bestie Kwante with a really awesome birthday package, consisting; a totebag, books, candle, bookmarks and her self-made night court tea, waaaah! And of course I went to Amsterdam to do an interview with Sophie Jackson on the 15th, so that was a reaaaally nice way to spent my birthday as well!
When I came home from my trip to Amsterdam, I was awaited for at the train station by my husband and son. As soon as my son saw me he sprinted towards me, arms outstretched and gave me the biggest hug ever – I’m a gooey puddle of emotions while writing this, thinking back to that moment haha it was so sweet and melted me on the spot– which gave me a huge boost of positive energy after a long day. A really awesome day, but the traveling had me exhausted.
Since hubby and I agreed on him not buying me anything for my birthday, since we would go to Disney a few days later – and that means that I want to do a lot of shopping in the disney stores hahaha – I didn’t expect to come home and find presents nonetheless haha – sneaky bastard – love him. What made me especially happy was seeing he went out buying decoration and decorated our home. We normally don’t decorate our home when it’s one of our birthdays, except for Milan’s of course, so it was a really big surprise and I never would’ve guessed I’d love it so much haha. I love how he always tries to make me feel good. I really have the best hubby in the world <3 Milan blabbed on and on about the decorations at home, the card he made me and the flowers he bought. The presents he and daddy hid for me so I could find them when I got home. It was really adorable seeing him so excited as well. I ended my birthday with a huge ass smile on my face, thanking the stars for the love of my family and friends!
Well, you came to see my birthday haul, didn’t you? 😉 Let me show you guys what I got..
From my bff Kwante
She knows me well haha. I got several bookish items related to Shadowhunters and the Night Court – that’s ALWAYS good!!!!
And the books she chose were from a wishlist I made beforehand and I’m so excited to show you guys which one she sought out for me!
- DARE TO YOU by Katie McGarry – the second book in the Pushing the Limits series has been on my wishlist ever since finishing the first book. Katie has become a favorite author of mine, really fast. Love her books so much! And I’m so happy I can now continue this series, yay!
- CINDER by Marissa Meyer – I know, I know.. I should be ashamed of myself for not having bought and read them sooner haha. But now I got Cinder thanks to Kwante, so I can start the series soon!
- RAGDOLL by Daniel Cole – I’ve heard sooo many good things about this book. And even though thrillers are normally books I don’t pick up often.. to be honest, I can’t even remember when I’ve read a thriller for the last time, lol.. but the book sounds like it’d be an awesome reading experience if I’d read it and since a lot of my friends are so enthusiastic about it as well, I put it on my wishlist. Kwante hasn’t read the book either, so now we can buddy-read it!
- THE DARKEST TORMENT by Gena Showalter – Gena’s an auto buy author of mine. Whether it’s about her Young adult books, her contemporary romance books or her paranormal romance books; I need/want them all haha. This is the 12th installment in the Lords of the Underworld series. This series was my first introduction to paranormal romance and remain a favorite series of mine since then. I loveeee this world and these characters so much and Gena’s writing style is addictive. I’m really happy I could add this book to the collection thanks to my friend.
And aside from the books I received some bookish items as well and they are really awesome too!
- Kwante recently put together a tea mix relating to the Night Court, from the ACOTAR books by Sarah J. Maas. And this tea doesn’t only look A-MA-ZING, it smells amazing as well and on top of that there’s something really special about it. The color! The color of this tea is blue, and it’s really stunning! And with just a drop of lemon juice, the blue turns into purple! I kid you not! So awesome, and it’s so extremely fitting to the Night Court. You’ll definitely see some pictures of the tea in the nearby future! Can’t wait to show you guys. And I’m absolutely in love with the way the tea is packaged. I haven’t seen it packaged this way before and it looks absolutely stunning on my shelf. The bottom is flat so it remains upright, so awesome.
- She bought me an amazing Shadowhunter candle; Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus it says on top which means “We are dust and Shadows”. Cassandra Clare has written so many beautiful quotes in all of her books so far, but this is definitely one of my favorites and one that lingers in a lot of shadowhunter-fans-minds.. I love the runes present on the sticker design as well. I’m just IN LOVE with it and it’s a beautiful addition to my Shadowhunters shelves
- And to top it of two beautiful Shadowhunter bookmarks with runes and an awesome quote! they look stunning on my shelves next to the books and I love bookmarks, so this is again a really awesome gift!!!
From my Hubby
Even though he said he wouldn’t buy me anything since we were going to Disneyland a few days later and I would shop there, he bought stuff hahaha.
I bought this with gift-cards and money I got from friends and family
I bought 7 new books from the money and gift cards I received. Obviously my gift-cards and money is always spent on books hahaha. I just can’t think of anything better to buy with it than books, can you? I also received a gift certificate for the Vue cinema from my brother-in-law and his wife. Since we love going to the movies, this is always a good gift to receive as well!
- KISS OF STEEL by Bec McMaster. This steampunk romance has been on my wishlist for about a year now I guess? I never read much with steampunk elements and I’d really love to read more about it and this series was one of the first I came across while doing research last year. A bookbuddy of mine, Annabel of HetlevenvaneenBoekenworm.nl recommended it to me as well quite a while ago. So I thought it was about damn time to order the book, yay.
- TORN by Jennifer L. Armentrout. The second book in the Wicked trilogy. I’ve read and loved the first one, Wicked, so much!!!! I’m so happy I got the sequel now and I can continue reading this trilogy. There’s so much I’m really excited for in this next book so I hope I can get around to reading it very soon! I love reading about fantasy/faeries/fae’s with an adult romance involved and Wicked was such a delight to read. The characters are so awesome!!
- FORGED IN ASH by Trish McCallan. This is the second book in the Red-Hot SEALS series. I’ve bought and read the first book last year and Really liked it! So I was determined to gradually buy the rest of the series as well. I haven’t gotten around to buy book two, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to buy it then.
- UNDER LOCKE by Mariana Zapata. I’ve got several books of this author on my wishlist. All of her books have a really good rating on Goodreads and they all sound like amazing reads. This one was the first that lured me in and has been on my wishlist for a while now. So this had to be bought now and I hope I can read it soon. It’s quite thick too; LOVE IT!
- CLIPPED WINGS by Helena Hunting. This was again one of the authors within the contemporary romance genre I wanted to read books from asap. So I bought Clipped Wings with the birthday gift-cards and already read the book as well. It was such a beautiful read and right after finishing it I bought book two and three as well, lol. And I also bought the first book in the Pucked series, since it sounds really good as well and it has a cross-over with the Clipped Wings books, yay! So excited!!
- GODSGRAVE by Jay Kristoff. Even though I haven’t finished Nevernight yet, the first book in the series, I really wanted to add Godsgrave to the collection. What I’ve read from Nevernight so far was already epic. The story-line was awesome and the writing style is truly amazing. I can’t wait to finish nevernight and read Godsgrave right after it.
- BENEATH THE SURFACE by John Hargrove. I love watching documentaries about killer whales, love doing ‘research’ about them and love reading books about them. And I’m gradually expanding my killerwhale book collection. This book was on top of my wishlist at the moment. John Hargrove was a senior trainer at Seaworld for many years and with this book we get the true story behind the scenes. It involves a lot of Blackfish-elements and I’m really excited to read this book!
Sooo.. I really can’t complain can I? lol haha. September 15th was an amazing day. I haven’t had such a lovely birthday in years. First spending it in Amsterdam with my bestie and meeting an amazing author as well. And when I got home I spent the rest of the day with my lovely family and we had an amazing time together. I feel blessed <3 I got some really awesome presents and lovely cards. Milan made me a drawing and bought me flowers – with my mother in law when he was there during the day – which was so sweet. I felt really pampered thanks to my lovely family and friends. Thanks again lovelies!!!!!