We’ve all probably been there at one point or another.. The moment you realize you still need to read sooo many books/series almost everyone you know in the book community has already read except for you – fail. For me, it mostly isn’t a conscious decision to let popular books on the shelves for a while. Most of the time I love reading hyped books – Sarah J. Maas for example!! whoop whoop. But when reading hyped books right after release date it’s probably an author I’ve been reading for a while and is already a favorite of mine. And it all really depends on my current mood as well, when picking up a new book to read. Sometimes I decide beforehand I want to wait until I’ve bought all the books in a series and there are times I decide that Because of the hype around a book or an author I want to wait until the hype dies down a bit, because I often get ‘contained’ with fangirl feels beforehand when it comes to popular books and they end up disappointing me a bit because I’ve unknowingly got high expectations beforehand.
So yeah, there are definitely quite some books/series that have been/are popular in the (Dutch) book community which I still haven’t read. I really want to read them though, otherwise I wouldn’t have bought them or put them on the wishlist of course, but I’ve just haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. Curious to see which popular books I still haven’t read? Read on..
- the Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken. I’m a bit terrified to start this series actually. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the books but I’ve read some negative reviews as well. Same went for Passenger. And I ended up being disappointed by Passenger, I didn’t even finish it before selling it. So it makes me skittish about starting a new book by this author. But I’m well aware it’s not honest to decide not starting at all because an author can’t truly be criticized if he or she wrote more than 1 book so I definitely want to see what I’ll think of the Darkest Minds, but I decided to not buy the rest of the books beforehand until I’ve read the first book and see what I’ll think of it.
- the Wrath and the Dawn duo-logy by Renee Ahdieh. I’ve had this book since the release date and still haven’t read it, I should be ashamed of myself. At that time this author wasn’t really well known yet, but with this book and it’s sequel she definitely made a mark within the book community world wide and therefore her newest book, a Mulan retelling titled ‘Flame in the Mist’ has been really hyped way before release date. I’ve only heard very very veryyy positive things about the Wrath and the Dawn duology and I already love that it has Arabic elements because after reading Alwyn Hamilton’ Rebel of the Sands, I wanted to read more books with Arabic elements in them.
- a Darker shade of Magic trilogy. These books have become really popular, really fast. I’ve bought the first two books when I was in London last year and I keep hearing great stuff about thesm. But I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have a popular series like this still on my TBR, lol. I’m a mood-reader and even though I try to read in a specific order, it may happen – a lot actually – I decide at the last minute to change my beforehand chosen book/series and pick up another one just because I don’t feel like reading the one I beforehand chose, yet. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to read it at all but my mind just has to be into it before I open it, you get what I mean? I’ve read This savage Song recently by this author and really loved it so I definitely want to read more from VE Schwab.
- Half Bad by Sally Green. The first two books of this trilogy have been on my shelves for ages now and I still haven’t read them, oops. I know a lot of Dutch bookbuddies of mine find this trilogy really awesome and they made me very excited for these books. Have you read Half Bad and what did you think of it?
- the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. Another series that’s been on my shelves for ages now – I’ve got the first three books – and still haven’t read. I’ve heard a lottt of good things about Maggie Stiefvater but haven’t gotten around to read anything yet. I always see a lot of fanart and such of this series and I often see them on other blogsites being spoken about as well. I’m very excited to start reading these books, hopefully very soon!
There’s just no telling when I decide to start a series I haven’t read yet I really need to be ‘in the mood’ for a specific book when I choose a new read so even though I order a book I’m exciting for I can still decide to not start reading it right away when it’s being delivered and it ends up on the shelves unread for months, lol. Do you recognize this behavior?
I’d love to hear what you thought of these popular books I still have on my TBR. And please leave a vote in the poll below to help me decide which series definitely has to be on top of my TBR. Maybe your vote gives me that last push to get my ‘head in the game’ 😉
Which popular books/series are still on your tbr?